Followers

Saturday, November 30, 2013

How I Made Turkey Soup


After hand picking the bones of all little bits of meat, I broke up the carcass in as many pieces as I could. Of course I have already saved the skin. Yes, this is a greasy project, and I had paper towel ready.  I then put the carcass and skins in a large heavy pot, filled it to the top with water and brought it to a boil. I covered and simmered the pot for about four hours. I added nothing else.

The cooked potful was then dumped into a colander which was placed over a large bowl. I used a plastic bowl because it isn't as heavy as my glass or pottery bowls. When the pot was empty, then I brought the colander, filled with the cooked stuff, back over the pot and drained it well.


(I threw the colander contents away in the trash because poultry bones choke dogs, we don't have a compost pile, and no burning today - it's too windy.)

The potful of plain and concentrated broth was placed outdoors to chill and even freeze. I Did NOT add water! Yes, I did cover the pot.

I went back indoors and washed those dishes. I do wonder how people can cook without a very large kitchen sink like mine. 

Then the fat was easily picked off of the top of the jellied broth!


I washed and cut up several stalks of celery and the tips of about a dozen carrots. The celery tops, leaves and all were chopped. A couple of onions were diced and added.

The only other ingredients used at this point were pinches of black pepper, parsley, and basil. The broth was then brought to a boil and tempered down to a simmer and cooked for about 2 hours. (You don't see much of the carrots here because they sunk to the bottom.)

A cup of brown rice and small turkey pieces were then combined and cooked until the rice was tender. It all was ladled into storage containers to freeze. I used to can but now prefer freezing soups. 

This is my routine and I'm sure you have yours. Whatever works is the rule, just as long as it turns out to be nourishing and delicious!


I already have another project in mind to use the extra carrots! Stay tuned.

1 comment:

  1. Mmmmmmmmmmm, nothing better than hot, homemade chicken soup. Yours looks and 'sounds' absolutely delicious. I'm ready. When do we eat?

    ReplyDelete